Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Dutch Apple Cake

This Dutch Apple Cake is one of the Depression Era recipes that I wanted to try.  I was very surprised by it's simplicity but festive presentation. 

This recipe has been around a long time.  It basically is a baking soda biscuit cake topped with apples, cinnamon, and sugar.  You could butter it or spread any kind of sauce or icing on it.  There are several variations of it on the internet some with sugar added to the cake and I even found one with sour cream added to the cake to make it moister.  But, this is the original 1930's Depression recipe.  If you suffer from allergies or need to reduce sugar you could adapt this cake for these dietary needs.

Mix:
2 cups flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder

Cut in: 
1/4 cup butter, mixing well

Beat:
1 egg- and add it to 
1 cup milk (scant)

Stir in dry mixture.  Dough should be soft enough to spread 1/2" thick in shallow pan.  Core and peel 4 or 5 apples and cut into 1/8ths.  Lay slices parallel on top of dough, sharp edge down, and press into dough.  Sprinkle 2 tbsp. sugar on apples.  (I also added 1 tsp. cinnamon.)  Bake in a hot oven (400 degrees) for 20-30 minutes.  Serve hot with butter or with a lemon sauce. 

How do you like my new teacup?  It is J & G Meakin (Made in England)  the pattern is Classic White.  I found them at the Salvation Army,  2 cups and saucers for 25 cents a piece. 
 Sherry

 I will link this to:
 Tea Time Tuesday at Rose Chintz Cottage 
A Return to Loveliness  at A Delightsome Life 
Tea Cup Tuesday at Martha's Favorites
Tea Cup Tuesday at Artful Affirmations
Table Top Tuesday  at A Stroll Thru Life
Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House
Tuesday Cuppa Tea  at Antiques and Teacups
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday  at Coastal Charm
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
 Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm  
On the Menu Monday at Stonegable 
Friends Sharing Tea at Bernideen's Tea Time Blog 
Tea Talk at The Teaist

26 comments:

shaggysheephome said...

My mouth started to water when I saw the pictures. Looks amazing.

Anonymous said...

I've already printed out this recipe. It looks delicious and the perfect bite with a cup of tea!

Sunny Simple Life said...

And so beautiful too!! A feast for the eyes.

Barbara F. said...

An absolutely beautiful cake, and your presentation and photo are magazine worthy. I am going to make this for Thanksgiving. xo

Bernideen said...

A wonderful and delicious recipe here!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sherry,, that lookd SO good! YUM!!!!

XO,

Sheila

Pamela Gordon said...

I love your new teacups! What a great price. The cake looks so delicious too.

Antiques And Teacups said...

Very nice teacups! So elegant! Thanks for the reminder about the Dutch Apple Cake...haven't made it for awhile...I think it's time! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
Ruth

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh, looks yummy!
Brenda

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Sherry, your apple cake looks delicious! Very nice teacups and such a great bargain too! I will run your recipe off and give it a try. Thank you for sharing and coming by for tea.
You know there was a time when folks on the Island teased me about having my tree up so early. It's nice to know there are others out there who love Christmas as much as I do. I don't have my tree up yet though. You beat me to it! ;) Enjoy your day, my friend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Pura Vida said...

looks delicious!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I think I'll try your recipe instead of apple pie next time I bake. Great price for your new teacups.
Judith

Susan Freeman said...

This cake looks delicious and will be so perfect with a hot cup of tea or coffee. I love that it is simple and not overly sweet. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sherry, that looks really good and sounds easy.

Beth said...

Sherry, Your cake looks really good! I like your new teacups too.

Unknown said...

I have a new love of apples..and Apple cake is one of them..this looks so yummy!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

What a beautiful cake! Sounds delicious too. Great find with the teacup!

The Teaist said...

Visiting from the link up and loving your blog. I'm a new follower :)

Ah, and since I am Dutch, I'd just *have* to try that Dutch apple pie. We do have a rather distinctive style of baking apple pies!

Be well,
The Teaist :)

Terri said...

OH goodness! Your apple treat looks amazing! It is so beautiful, I may not want to cut it up : ) Love your white tea cups too. White is such a nice choice as it is so classy and looks good in so many different themes.
Hugs,
Terri

IsabelC. said...

Yum! It looks delicious and comforting!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, this looks sooooooooo good. Thanks for the recipe. Thanks also for joining TTT. Hugs, marty

Eileen said...

Oh, this looks scrumptious. :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'll save this recipe. I can't eat sugar so this is perfect for me! And I love the new tea cup...simple and beautiful!

bj said...

this is beautiful and sounds wonderful...bet if a bit of applesauce was added, it would make it VERY moist. I have a jar in my fridge that I so need to use up....what do you think??

Maria said...

Mmm this looks wonderful! Sounds so delicious (apple cakes are my favorite!) and it looks so nice too!

Diann said...

This would be the perfect tea or coffee treat. Not super rich but nice and dense. I love the simple recipe. You do know that I am copying all these recipes from this book into a special folder on my computer don't you? LOL I figure if I dont have the book, I will just get them one recipe at a time from you! Thank you for sharing this recipe with us at TTF and have a Blessed weekend!